How to Watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay
One of the most common questions of iPhone users is, can you play Netflix on Apple CarPlay? It’s essentially because Apple doesn’t allow you to stream videos on their signature CarPlay system, including Netflix. It’s reasonable as well, for obvious safety purposes. But if you wanted to know how to watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay despite all that, follow through.
It’s a no-brainer that playing videos while driving is bound to break concentration and therefore, is dangerous. Which is why video streaming platforms like Netflix, YouTube, or Amazon Prime are not available on CarPlay. However, it may come in handy for passengers, or your children for instance, especially if you’re on a long drive. So if you can ensure the safety of yourself and others with playing videos in the car, read on to learn how to get Netflix on Apple CarPlay.
What is Apple CarPlay and How Does it Work?
Before we dive into the processes on how to watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay, let’s clarify what CarPlay is. It’s a piece of Apple’s software integrated into a car that allows you to pair and control your iOS device. For instance, with Apple CarPlay in your system, you can interface your iPhone to access the car’s built-in entertainment system. You can play music, listen to podcasts and news, make calls, use navigation while driving, etc., all from your car’s dashboard, without having to touch your iPhone.
Also Read: How to Set Up Apple CarPlay
So how does Apple CarPlay work? Well, first off, you will need a car that supports Apple CarPlay. That’s not much of a worry because it’s found on most of the common car models. Here’s a list of cars with Apple CarPlay in 2022. And secondly, your country or region must support Apple CarPlay. As of now, around 35 countries have the CarPlay system, and the number is increasing. Check this list of countries and regions with Apple CarPlay.
If your car and region are supported, let’s set up Apple CarPlay —
- If your car has USB for CarPlay, plug your iPhone into the USB port of your car stereo.
- If your car has wireless CarPlay support, press and hold the voice command button whilst ensuring your car stereo is in wireless mode.
- Then open your iPhone Settings.
- Navigate to General and tap on CarPlay.
- Then choose your car from the list.
Two Methods on How to Watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay
While with CarPlay, you can enjoy certain accessibilities like navigation or playing music, watching movies in cars is yet to arrive. Because Apple thinks (and we concur) that it’s dangerous and can lead to accidents if you play videos while driving. But if you want to know how to play Netflix on CarPlay so the others in the car can enjoy, there are a couple of tricks to do that.
Note that none of the methods require jailbreaking your iPhone. Jailbreaking is complicated, often harmful for devices, and just isn’t as cool as before. Rather you can use an app or a dedicated device to enable Apple CarPlay to run Netflix without jailbreak.
How to watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay without jailbreak
First, you will need to download the Carbridge app. It’s an app that basically streams everything on your iPhone onto your car screen. So you can then mirror your iPhone to CarPlay without jailbreaking and play Netflix anytime.
Before installing the Carbridge app —
- Open your iPhone Settings.
- Go to General.
- Then go to Background App Refresh and ensure that it’s on.
- Next, make sure you’re inside or close to your car with the Bluetooth on. If your car doesn’t have Bluetooth, you should connect iPhone to your car with a supported cable.
To install the Carbridge app —
- Launch Safari on your iPhone.
- Type in carbridgeapp.com and hit Enter.
- Then tap the Download Now button.
- From the options, choose iOS and Start Installation.
Once the process of installation is complete, you will be redirected to another page. There it says that in order to run Carbridge on iPhone, you need to install a couple of free apps. Since the Carbridge app is completely free, it shouldn’t hurt. You can easily uninstall them afterward.
To run the Carbridge app —
- Tap on an available app to install directly from the App Store.
- Enter your Apple ID and passcode.
- Install two or three apps through the same process.
- Then launch Carbridge to see if it’s working while making sure the in-app switch is turned on. When you’re certain, delete the unnecessary apps you just installed.
- That’s it! Now you’ll be able to connect your iPhone to your car through Carbridge and easily watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay.
How to Add Netflix to Apple CarPlay with an MMB device
Multimedia CarPlay Adapter Box is another neat way to make your Apple CarPlay play Netflix on your car. Simply plug in the device to your car stereo, and it will essentially become the CarPlay itself. So, for streaming Netflix on your Apple CarPlay without jailbreaking, then get a CarPlay adapter box first. You can get them easily on Amazon; just make sure it supports Apple CarPlay with iOS devices.
In the following section, we shared the steps on how you can connect a CarPlay adapter box to your vehicle’s CarPlay to stream Netflix. We have to use the MMB CarPlay Adapter Box as an example in the steps.
Here’s how to watch Netflix on your car screen using an MMB device
- Connect the MMB CarPlay Adapter Box to your car stereo using a supported cable.
- Boot up your Apple CarPlay.
- Share your iPhone’s WiFi hotspot with the CarPlay adapter box.
- Scroll to the apps section and go to More App.
- You’ll find the Netflix app is preloaded in the MMB CarPlay adapter box. So select and play Netflix.
So there, now you know how to watch Netflix on Apple CarPlay system. In much similar way, you can also watch YouTube on Apple CarPlay and make the best use of this software. Apply either of the techniques to stream Netflix on Apple CarPlay, best according to your convenience.
However, safety should be the priority in any situation, so bear that in mind when you activate Netflix, YouTube, or such video streaming platforms in your car. Stay safe and enjoy more iOS device tricks with frequent updates.